- Are you looking forward for vacations on a place that is itself a complete package with Beaches, Islands, Temples, Museums, and Dams?
- Do you also wish to the lip-smacking seafood and regional dishes served with love?
- And, the place should be well-connected through Roadways, Railways, and Airways?
If you replied a big YES to all the above questions then, Trivandrum is your destination for the upcoming holidays. There are so many places to visit in Trivandrum with the constant weather throughout the year. The best time to visit Trivandrum is recommended is from October to March. Avoid vacations in Trivandrum because March to May is normally hot and dry as the summer in Kerala lasting at that time. June to September witnesses the monsoon. Holding the pride of being one of the cleanliest cities of India; Trivandrum also attracts people who are fascinated by Ayurveda. There are several tourist places in Trivandrum that make your holidays peaceful and comfortable in the pleasant atmosphere around along with relishing the pure South Indian culture.
Top Places to Visit in Trivandrum
If you are concerned about the places to visit in Trivandrum; then the below list is all you need to check.
1. Sree Padmanabhaswamy Temple – World’s Richest Temple:
Among the richest of all temples, the Sree Padmanabhaswamy Temple is dedicated to a reincarnation of Lord Vishnu – Lord Padmanabha. This temple in Trivandrum is also famous for its firm rules of worship.
There are definite dress codes to be followed by its visitors. The entry is free. The temple premises needs almost two hours for a complete visit.
Padmanabhaswamy Temple Timings:
Temple opens at 3:30 AM and closes at 7:20 PM. In between these hours, the temple doors keep closing and opening at regular intervals.
2. Shangumugham Beach
Shangumugham Beach is a popular tourist destination located in Thiruvananthapuram, the capital city of the Indian state of Kerala. The beach is known for its clean white sands and clear blue waters, as well as its scenic views of the Arabian Sea. The beach also features a large sculpture of a mermaid, and is a popular spot for sunset viewing. There are many facilities available for visitors, including a children’s park, a food court, and a beachside promenade. It is considered one of the most beautiful beach in the city.
- Best time to visit Shagumugham is between October and May, where tourist can enjoy the pleasant weather with the moderate temperature low humidity and also suitable for outdoors activities like swimming and sunbathing.
- Things to do at Shagumugham: There are several things to do at Shangumugham Beach in Thiruvananthapuram like swimming, bathing, fishing, sun viewing, children’s park and photography.
- Top near Attractions: There are several top near attraction to Shangumugham Beach like Padmanabhaswamy Temple, Sreekanteswaram Temple, Kovalam Beach, Napier Museum, The Veli Lagoon and The Veli Lagoon.
3. Vellayani Lake
Vellayani Lake is the largest freshwater lake in the Thiruvananthapuram district. The lake is known for its scenic beauty and is a popular spot for boating, fishing and picnicking. It is also an important source of drinking water for the local residents and popular spot for bird-watching, as many species of birds, including migratory birds. Tourist can enjoy kayaking, canoeing and other water sports activities. During the festival of Onam, a snake boat race is held in the lake, which attracts large crowds.
- Best time to visit Vellayani Lake: is during the monsoon season between June and September when the lake is full and the surrounding area is lush and green.
- Activities to do at Vellayani Lake: There are several things to do at Vellayani Lake, including boating, fishing, picnicking and photography.
- Place Timing for the lake is from morning 6 AM to evening 6 PM.
- Top Near Attractions Vellayani Lake includes Sreekanteswaram Temple, Kovalam Beach, Napier Museum and Kanakakkunnu Palace.
4. Zoological Park
The Zoological Park in Trivandrum, also known as the Trivandrum Zoo, is a popular tourist destination located in the city of Thiruvananthapuram, in the Indian state of Kerala. Established in 1857, the zoo is one of the oldest in the country and covers an area of around 55 acres. It is home to a wide variety of animals and birds, including tigers, lions, elephants, primates, reptiles, and birds. The zoo also features a natural history museum, an aquarium, a snake park, and a children’s park.
- Best time to visit the Zoological Park in Trivandrum is during the months of October to February when the weather is pleasant and cool. This is the perfect time to enjoy the beauty of the park and the animals.
- Things to do at Zoological Park, Trivandrum: Visitors can see a wide variety of animals and birds from around the world, take a guided tour of the park, participate in educational programs, and enjoy the park’s playgrounds and picnic areas.
- Place timing Zoological Park: The park is open from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm every day.
- Top Near Attractions Zoological Park: Some popular near attractions to the Zoological Park in Trivandrum include the Napier Museum, the Sreekanteswaram Temple, the Science and Technology Museum, the Kanakakkunnu Palace, the Veli Tourist Village, the Priyadarshini Planetarium, and the Kuthiramalika Palace Museum. Other nearby places of interest include the Padmanabhaswamy Temple, the Napier Art Museum, the Sree Chithra Art Gallery and the Kowdiar Palace.
5. Akkulam Lake
Akkulam Lake is a picturesque lake located in the Indian state of Kerala, near the city of Thiruvananthapuram. The lake is known for its calm waters and is a popular spot for boating, fishing and picnicking. The lake is surrounded by lush green trees and is a great spot to enjoy nature.
- Akkulam Lake is a picturesque lake located in the Indian state of Kerala, near the city of Thiruvananthapuram. The lake is known for its calm waters and is a popular spot for boating, fishing and picnicking. The lake is surrounded by lush green trees and is a great spot to enjoy nature.
- Best time to visit Akkulam Lake: The best time to visit Akkulam Lake in Trivandrum is during the months of October to February when the weather is pleasant and cool. This is the perfect time to enjoy the beauty of the lake and the surrounding area.
- Things to do at Akkulam Lake: Visitors can take a boat ride on the lake, enjoy a picnic or a barbecue by the lake side, visit the nearby children’s park and the Akkulam Tourist Village, or enjoy a variety of water sports such as kayaking, canoeing, and paddle boating.
- Place timing Akkulam Lake: The lake and the surrounding area are open 24/7.
- Near Attractions Akkulam Lake: Some popular near attractions to Akkulam Lake include the Veli Tourist Village, the Science and Technology Museum, the Kanakakkunnu Palace, the Napier Museum, the Sreekanteswaram Temple, the Priyadarshini Planetarium, and the Kuthiramalika Palace Museum. Other nearby places of interest include the Padmanabhaswamy Temple, the Napier Art Museum, the Sree Chithra Art Gallery and the Kowdiar Palace.
6. Anchuthengu Fort
Anchuthengu Fort is a historic fort located in the Indian state of Kerala, near the city of Thiruvananthapuram. The fort was built by the British East India Company in the 18th century and is known for its architectural beauty. The fort is now a popular spot for history buffs and visitors who want to learn about the region’s colonial past.
- The best time to visit the fort would be during the winter months from November to February when the weather is pleasant and comfortable for sightseeing.
- Things to do at Anchuthengu Fort: Visitors can explore the fort, learn about its history, see the remnants of the Dutch settlement, and take in the scenic views of the surrounding area.
- Place timing: The fort is open to visitors from 9 am to 5 pm on all days of the week.
- Top near attractions: There are various nearby attractions like Anjengo Lighthouse beach, Varkala beach
7. Aruvi Waterfalls
Aruvi Waterfalls is a beautiful waterfall located in the Indian state of Kerala, near the city of Thiruvananthapuram. The waterfall is known for its natural beauty and is a popular spot for picnicking and swimming. The waterfall is located in a remote area and is a great spot for those looking for a peaceful getaway.
- Best time to visit Aruvi Waterfalls: would be during the monsoon season, from June to September, as the water flow is at its highest during this time.
- Things to do at Aruvi Waterfalls: Activities like Taking a dip in the pool at the base of the waterfall, photography and videography, hiking and trekking, picnicking and enjoying the natural surroundings.
- The place timing of Aruvi Waterfalls is open 24 hours.
- Near Attractions to Aruvi Waterfalls include Varkala Beach, Janardhanaswamy Temple, Anjengo Fort, Sivagiri Mutt, Edava-Nadayara Lake
8. Priyadarshini Planetarium
Priyadarshini Planetarium is a popular planetarium located in the Indian state of Kerala, near the city of Thiruvananthapuram. The planetarium offers visitors the opportunity to learn about the stars and planets in an interactive and educational way. The planetarium has large dome theatre and state-of-the-art equipment, making it a great spot for those interested in astronomy and space.
- Best time to visit Priyadarshini Planetarium would be during the daytime, as the planetarium shows are held during the day.
- Things to do at Priyadarshini Planetarium: Watching the planetarium shows, which are held in English and Malayalam, visiting the science park and the science museum, participating in the interactive science activities and attending the science lectures and workshops
- Place timing of Priyadarshini Planetarium is open from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM on all days except Monday.
- Near Attractions to Priyadarshini Planetarium: Napier Museum, Sree Chithra Art Gallery, Kanakakkunnu Palace, Sreekanteswaram Temple, Trivandrum Zoo, Kowdiar Palace, Vellayani Lake, Shree Padmanabhaswamy Temple.
9. Kovalam Beach – One of the Popular Tourist Places in Trivandrum
In the South of Trivandrum; approx. 13 km from the city situated is Kovalam Beach.
Why is Kovalam beach famous?
It is semicircular in shape; enclosed with the coconut trees that keep swaying moderately by the gentle wind in the region. Spend your time in the water sports at Kovalam Beach.
Things to do at Kovalam Beach
Try the mouth-watering seafood here and get the Ayurvedic massages as well. The stay near the beach is said to be affordable. The sunrise and sunset views would cheer you up.
This beach is the most visited beach in Trivandrum among the existing beaches of Kerala.
10. Varkala Beach – Best Cliff Beach in Kerala:
The beach is famous with the name ‘Paapnashanam’. The water of Varkala Beach is considered to possess remedial and healing properties. A dip in the holy water is taken to rinse the body from all impurities and wickedness.
Things to do at Varkala Beach
If seafood excites your taste buds, then Varkala Beach is heaven for you. Also if adventurous things thrill you, then have fun in doing sports like windsurfing, parasailing, paragliding, and snorkeling. This beach in Trivandrum is best for Spending free time.
11. Ponmudi – Clean Hill Station of Kerala
What is special in Ponmudi?
The sumptuous tea plantations, plush green peaks, and vales with waterfalls and watercourses altogether make you fall in love with the place. A huge expanse of uncommon flora and fauna can be perceived here together with mountain florets, wild orchids, and colorful butterflies.
Which is the best time to visit Ponmudi?
November to May is the best time for visiting the Ponmudi.
12. Poovar Island – Best Tourist Attraction of Trivandrum:
Approx. 27 km from Trivandrum with unmapped seashores and striking backwoods of Kerala. Poovar Island is situated with all the serenity you are searching for.
Poovar Island Attractions
Visit Poovar Island to witness the point where the sea, river, and land come across. Poovar is also well-known as a fishing village. Take a cruise here to the neighboring village in the middle of the flawless blue water to gain a memorable experience.
13. Padmanabhapuram Palace – Heritage Destination of Trivandrum:
Approx. 61 km from the city; towards Kanyakumari situated is the Padmanabhapuram Palace. The wooden palace is beautifully maintained and its frescoes, marvelous flowery figurines, and black stonework floor continue to amaze all its visitors even to this day. The interiors are stunning leftovers with convoluted rose artifacts and sculptured furnishings. The palace remains open on all weekdays except on Mondays.
Padmanabhapuram Palace Timings
The visiting hours are 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM.
14. Neyyar Dam – A Gravity Dam in Trivandrum
Are you a nature lover? If you answered a YES, then do visit Neyyar Dam on your holidays to Trivandrum. This dam is a preferred tourist place in Trivandrum.
This scenic dam is in the middle of the foliage of Western Ghats is enclosed with tranquility and remoteness. You would love to visit here as it makes an unspoiled sightseer place to escape from the swarming urban life.
Best Time to Visit Neyyar Dam
September to May is the best time for visiting the Neyyar Dam. Also plan to visit Neyyar Dam Wildlife Sanctuary when you are here.
15. Napier Museum – First Museum in Kerala
Visiting Napier Museum will give you a preview of rich Kerala’s cultural legacy. If you are a history lover or a student; this place will soothe you best. It was built in the 19th century. The Indo-Saracenic construction with gothic gables and towers, stone statuaries, wood and ivory figurines along with lamps, fabrics, handiwork items, etc. fascinates you.
Napier Museum Timings & Entry Fees
The Museum remains open on all weekdays except on Mondays. Visiting hours are between 10:00 AM to 4:30 PM. Pay Rs. 10/- and Rs.5- as entry fees for adults and kids respectively.
16. Agasthyakoodam – One of the Best Trekking Places in Kerala
In the North-East of Trivandrum; approx. 61 km from the city stands the second highest peak in Kerala; the Agasthyakoodam.
Things to do at Agasthyakoodam
A perfect spot for photography, bird-watching, and trekking. Rich wildlife and the abundant presence of uncommon medicinal herbs make this place; a must-visit when you are in Trivandrum for holidays.
Best Time to visit Agasthyakoodam
December to April is the ideal time for trekking at Agasthyakoodam. It is said that once Hrishi Agastya lived here; hence the place derived its name. Avoid visiting here after sunset.
17. Puthenthope Beach
Puthenthope Beach is a secluded beach located in the Indian state of Kerala, near the city of Thiruvananthapuram. The beach is known for its clean white sands and clear blue waters, as well as its peaceful atmosphere. The beach is a great spot for swimming and sunbathing, and is also a popular spot for fishing.
Kallar is a small village located in the Indian state of Kerala, near the city of Thiruvananthapuram. The village is known for its serene atmosphere and is a popular spot for trekking and hiking. Kallar also has a number of small waterfalls that are popular among visitors.
Time to Explore Trivandrum:
Bookmark this page or take a print out before you pack your bags to visit these amazing tourist places of Trivandrum and enjoy upcoming vacations in Trivandrum with family and friends.
Keep visiting this website for more such informative write-ups.